Saturday, December 7, 2013

Just Call Me Rodolphe Salis

Two words: wine and painting.  Sounds fun, right? It is a blast!  Four of my lady friends and I have discovered a new form of entertainment – and we are kind of hooked. 
  It all started when my friend Mel suggested trying something new, Brush and Barrel, for her birthday. So, on a Wednesday night we girls traveled from Iowa City, North Liberty, Marion and Cedar Falls to Coralville for a fun night of painting.

Rob and I had stumbled into a similar bar in Milwaukee last March, but were too late to participate in the class. This time, I was right in the action with my very own easel, paint (which I managed to get on myself within moments of taking my seat), set of brushes, and, of course, a glass of Moscato. The instructor led around 25 of us step by step through the painting of a tree.

What I learned:
  1. Mel has an extremely steady hand
  2. Lindsay is a freaky fast painter - started 20 minutes behind us and finished early!
  3. Brigette and I are meant to be besties because we both opted for a white tree
  4. My tree is far too thin to be realistic
  5. Sandy can paint grass blades like it’s her job




 
We had so much fun that we brought our men along only a few weeks later to paint Le Chat Noir by Rodolphe Salis.

What I learned:

  1. Mel still has an extremely steady hand
  2. My husband is not good at following directions
  3. Mark & Brian  are very good at following directions
  4. Brigette paints her best work when standing
  5. The wine glass is NOT the paint brush rinsing glass





 
Special thanks to Brush and Barrel for all the pictures!

No comments: