Thursday, January 9, 2014

Recipe: Low Fat Baked Onion Rings

It's safe to say that those who know me would not call me a 'health nut' or 'fitness guru.' Now I am not eating a pint of ice cream every night either, but I have quite a few more trips to the gym and calories to cut before my name changes from Jillian Miller to Jillian Michaels.  However, a new year brings new possibilities and I hope to become the healthiest me I've been in years in 2014.

In the spirit of eating healthy, here is a delicious twist on a popular side that my friend Danielle (an actual health guru) introduced me to a few months ago and I found again on Skinny Taste - Low Fat Baked Onion Rings.  

Ingredients:
  • 1 onion
  • 2 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat break crumbs
  • 1/4 cup crushed corn flakes

The Steps:

1. Slice your onion into rings and soak in buttermilk.  The recipe calls for them to soak for a few hours, but I was only patient enough for 20 minutes and they still turned out great.


2. Combine panko, bread crumbs and corn flakes into a dish.  Leave some of your mixture in another dish so you have fresh crumbs when your mixture starts to clump and has a hard time sticking to the onions. 


3. Coat each soaked ring in your crumb mixture and place onto a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.  Tip - it is best to use a fork to lift your onion out of the crumbles (your fingers will knock some of the crumbles off)


4. Bake in oven at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes and enjoy! They paired perfectly with my turkey burger!









No comments: